How do I know if I have varicose veins?
What are varicose veins?
Varicose veins are gnarled, enlarged veins. Any vein may become varicose, but the veins most commonly affected are those in your legs and feet. That’s because standing and walking upright increases the pressure in the veins of your lower body.
What are spider veins?
Spider veins are a common, mild variation of varicose veins.
Do I need to get rid of my varicose veins? Are varicose veins unhealthy or dangerous?
For many people, varicose veins and spider veins are simply a cosmetic concern. For other people, varicose veins can cause discomfort or even aching pain. Sometimes varicose veins lead to more serious problems, and they may also signal a higher risk of other circulatory problems.
What are the symptoms of varicose veins?
Common signs and symptoms of varicose veins include:
- Dark purple, blue, or red veins
- Veins that appear twisted and bulging, like cords on your legs
- An achy or heavy feeling in your legs
- Burning, throbbing, muscle cramping, and swelling in your lower legs
- Worsened pain after sitting or standing for a long time
- Itching around one or more of your veins
- Bleeding from varicose veins
- A painful cord in the vein with red discoloration of the skin
- Color changes, hardening of the vein, inflammation of the skin, or skin ulcers near your ankle
What types of treatments are available for my varicose veins?
LA Laser and Skin Center offers the following cutting edge treatments for varicose veins:
- Endovenous laser treatment– Endovenous laser treatment is a minimally invasive procedure for varicose veins in which a thin fiber is inserted into damaged and enlarged veins through a very small incision in the skin. Laser light energy is emitted through the fiber. As the fiber is pulled through the vein, the cells reacts with the light energy, causing the vein to close and seal shut. Once blood flow has been cut off to the veins, they are no longer swollen and visible. Blood will then naturally reroute to healthy veins.
- Sclerotherapy– Sclerotherapy begins with an injection of medicated solution directly into inflamed varicose and spider veins. The solution irritates the lining of the blood vessels, causing them to collapse and stick together. The blood then clots. Over time, the vessels turn into scar tissue that fades from view. While other treatment centers use a saline solution, LA Laser and Skin Center developed a highly specialized formula that aids in pain reduction during sclerotherapy.